Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hello notifications

During these slow preparations for 2.0 release, I figure out how EDE does not have any kind of notification service, where applications could report custom statuses.

I'm using Fedora Xfce Spin, where I replaced Xfce with EDE and recently I removed all Xfce applications and libraries from the system. This affected Xfce custom notification daemon which displayed various infos (e.g. firefox download status, VirtualBox driver update and such). AFAIK, more and more apps are using this notification specification which is good.

So here it is, with humble name: ede-notify-daemon. It support important parts of the spec, where the rest I will leave for upcoming versions. Truth to be told, I will (probably) never implemented full specification as it badly complicate simple thing as displaying notifications. I'm wondering are those GNOME/KDE guys come up with anything simple or we will at the end start to roll (again) own solutions?

Notification demo

There is no configuration options for ede-notify-daemon; this is planned to be done in 2.1 release.

7 comments:

kaiomatico said...

I'd love to see EDE as default DE in tinycore linux :o

All I can say is that I think this project is still awesome! (I remember using EDE on my xbox classic on a slackware live cd...)

Can't wait for more updates ;) or maybe even an fedora or debian respin ;)

Anonymous said...

w00t! 2.0! New site!

ChristTrekker

Sanel Z. said...

Glad to see you back ;) Drop me an email if something goes wrong with 2.0

Anonymous said...

Why your 'DE' doesn't support localization? You've placed _()'s which you probably saw somewhere, but miss a half of places where they should be, and don't even bother yourself to see if it actually works. It doesn't, as you forgot to actually call the corresponding functions.

Sanel Z. said...

Hi Anonymous,

Can you give me example where translation strings should be, but are
not placed? Which corresponding functions are not called?

Translation support is almost completed, but translated and compiled
strings are not installed; also I'm suggesting translators to be
patient until 2.1 goes out, since I'm planning to integrate intltool
which will give ability to translate config and desktop files.

In the mean time I found how intltool isn't the right solution either, as
it will not be able to extract strings maked as _"" from scheme
source, which is the basis for theme engine. AFAIK upcoming intltool
version will fix this.

Regards.

Anonymous said...

My laptop had Peppermint Ice on it, but that distro became discontinued. I like Lubuntu, but their 12.04 is not an LTS. Luckily I found the EDE 12.04 iso. It works great. The specs are not that bad on my laptop (3 GB RAM, dual core CPU) but I just do not want to use CPU on Unity or KDE; nice looking but too heavy. EDE is working superbly so far. Thanks.

Sanel Z. said...

Thank you for the positive feedback :)

Regards